Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rainbows and Folk Rock - April 20th

(Blog: Continued from The Adventures of Ben and Karen, a joint adventure blog with my brother)


It was a dark and stormy night.

Actually, it still is. That’s why I’m sitting here, cross legged on the bed in my pajamas, recording my most recent adventures, kicking off the blog Where in the World is Karen Eileen Carmen.

First port of call: Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia

Until very recently, this adventure has been a joint venture with my little brother (okay, okay, so he’s like ten feet taller than me, I’m still the older!), recorded on the blog theadventuresofbenandkaren.blogspot.com.

It was an amazing adventure.

Yesterday afternoon, Ben boarded a bus headed for home to continue his adventures in the Northern Hemisphere. He’s been in continuous transit since he left Byron at just after 5 pm yesterday which would put him now, at 9:30 pm today… just about halfway there. I walked with him to the bus stop yesterday dressed for a run. Don’t get me wrong; I’m excited for both of us, Ben for his continuing adventures and me for mine. But it’s sad to see this chapter come to an end. And so I did the only sensible thing to do, and went for a very long run.

My feet took me to the sea.

I ran the blocks through town from the bus stop to the shore and across the loose packed sand, carrying my flipflops in one hand and a flashlight in the other. The surf was huge, making the serious surfers happy and the sunset spectacular. I ran and watched the sunset and the sea, headed for Captain Cook Lookout, a jut of land over Little Wategos Beach, officially kicking off my Cetacean Spotting Season. Rumor has it that the dolphins like to hang around Little Wategos. And records have it that the humpback whales coming north from Antarctica to breed will be passing by Cape Byron, the easterly most point of the Australian continent, migrating from May through November. The first of the whales have already been spotted from the lighthouse, and so this is largely my objective here in Byron; spot the whales and watch the dolphins. Inauspiciously, I saw no cetaceans or large sea life of any kind on my run yesterday, but it was a beautiful night all the same. Warm and clear (at long, long last! There has been oodles, buckets, and scads of rain these last few weeks), the waters around the lookout point darkened and, after a bit of a chat with a visiting Colorado-native-former-wrangler-computer-professional, I ran the rest of the way to the Cape Byron Lighthouse to watch the stars.

As day fades to night here, the stars gleam through the navy blue sky, its colors rich over the sea. First Venus shines through to herald the night, and the others follow suit. Soon the Milky Way shines through, a vast carpet of shimmering light so brilliant it seems you could walk on it, if only you could turn your feet to the sky.

It was a gorgeous run.

I found myself back home and fell asleep.

At eight this morning I was at work, but not before walking up to the beach and watching a few minutes of a surfing contest taking place between the Main Beach and the Wreck, our local shipwreck. Ben and I spoke to a very informed older volunteer at the lighthouse a few weeks ago who knew everything there was to know. Apparently the shipwreck in question was a courier of goods and staples between Byron Bay and Sydney back before the roads and railways were good enough to make transport efficient by land. It got caught in a huge storm by the pier and smashed. The locals saved the crew, but taxes hadn’t been paid to the land authorities on the parts of the ship that came from overseas, since the ship had never been brought in to land. They wouldn’t permit the salvage without collecting the tax, and so there The Wreck remains to this day, providing a haven for fish, a great surf break for surfers, and a bit of the tiller sticking up out of the water that local kids climb on. (A few years back, a couple of high school girls played hooky from school, swam out to the Wreck, and were treed up on the tiller by sharks who circled below until they were rescued by the surf lifesaving boat, but not before being plastered all over the east coast evening news! This is in no way a deterrent to continued climbing on the Wreck, or to Ben and myself snorkeling there. But we kept a weather eye out just in case.)

Anyway, I worked until about four today, then knocked off and headed for the Beachie (The Beach Front Hotel) to see a Melbourne duo called The Pierce Brothers. They played a set at open mic night at the Buddha Bar on Wednesday night, and totally rocked my socks. They started tonight at five, which was perfect, because I had a very important post-work errand to run:

Project Giant Umbrella.

Back in the day, when it was still summer here and it rained in between bouts of fierce sunshine, I bought a little four dollar folding plaid-patterned umbrella. It was whimsical, it was plucky, it wasn’t the sturdiest but it had heart, and kept me dry enough… for a time. Then the Season of the Rains arrived in force, weeks and weekends and weeks of endless deluge, with days on end without enough sun to properly dry one’s soaked clothes. Now I understand why tropical natives don’t wear much. It’s not just because of the heat; it’s because you’d NEVER dry out, and soggy pants are not a thing to be borne for long.

And so I went to the Rainbow Shop (guess what they sell- on t-shirts, headbands, wall hangings, umbrellas, you name it), and bought an umbrella the size of a tent. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but it’s large, and sunny, and many colors, and most importantly of all, keeps the raindrops from falling on my head, or anywhere within a several foot radius of my nice dry self.

So, umbrella in hand, I went back to the Beachie, bought a happy hour XXXX Gold (my favorite Aussie beer) on tap, perched myself at a bar table on the outdoor patio with an umbrella only slightly bigger than mine overhead keeping the storm off my table and, more importantly, off my beer. From my perch, I could see the sea to my left, the huge rolling breakers catching the colors of the darkening sky under the stormy yellow clouds, and the stage to my right, where the Pierce Brothers were setting up. 

Two boys from Melbourne, the Pierce Brothers are a musical force of nature. Sitting on barrels turned into stools, one plays the guitar like it’s a part of his body. The other plays the guitar sometimes. And the harmonica. And the didgeridoo. And percussion, sometimes on a bongo drum, sometimes with his hands and sometimes with stick, and sometimes drums on his brother’s guitar, with his hands or the sticks. And sometimes, most amazing of all, he wraps an arm around his brother’s neck and they BOTH play the same guitar, or he holds the harmonica for his brother to play (while he continues with the guitar) while ALSO playing the didgeridoo. Folk/rock and definitely Australian, their sound and energy are a joy to watch as well as to hear. 

After an amazing performance, and a dinner of beer and free happy hour bar snacks (read: meat pie and sausage roll. Aussies know what they are about with beef.), I had a very rainy walk home. But that’s okay; I carry a smile on my lips and a song in my heart and a big flippin’ rainbow umbrella over my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment