Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunrise, Boat Hope and Butternut Squash - April 24th


I woke up at five thirty this morning, hearing the lorikeets beginning their morning wing-out (tangent later) and feeling my knees sore from work yesterday. I got up, brushed my teeth, had a drink of water, and realized I was awake enough to stay up. So I grabbed a tub of yogurt left over from dinner last night with half an apple already sliced into it, tossed in a handful of oatmeal, grabbed my purse and computer (maybe I'd actually make it to the Internet this time!) and headed for the beach to watch the sunrise. The morning was blue and beautiful, with high gray clouds blanketing the sky.

Jonson Street was just beginning to wake up, the delivery trucks and trash collectors and street sweepers for the early places going about their morning routines, the dawn in Byron I’ve become accustomed to on my morning walks to work. Except this morning, I passed the arcade of shops and went straight to the sea.
I sat on the rocks and watched, and it was beautiful. I watched a few early morning kayakers heading out into the sea, and felt very jealous. I need a boat. I need a boat like I need groceries. Determined again on this score, I made a few phone calls home and watched the sky lighten and waited for one of my favorite Internet cafes to open. While I was chatting on the phone, one of the guys paddling a boat came back in from the water. I got off the phone quickly and hurried over to accost him. He was very friendly, and told me to come back around nine or ten and talk to the Man in the Office in a way that gives me great hope.  
And so now I’m sitting here at the Fresh CafĂ©, with a cup of soy hot chocolate with very exciting foam art on top and a fresh blackberry maple almond muffin, about to finally! successfully get online. I’ll be here for a while catching up on my list, and in a few hours I’ll go speak to the Man in the Office, and with any luck, soon be headed out to sea.

Dolphins and Julian Rocks and Whales, here I come!

… 12:38 pm

VICTORY is mine! At ten to six am Thursday morning, I’m going out in a surfski! We’ll take things from there, but it looks like I might be able to arrange a boat share. First things first – Thursday morning, out to sea with me! YAHOO!!

The day became quite rainy, so now I’m cozied in at home doing laundry and watching Beauty and the Beast while the butternut squash steams and the eggs boil for my pumpkin-seed bread and mesclun salad sandwich.

God I love life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment