Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Perfect Day (cookie disaster notwithstanding) - May 8, 2012


The day begins at The Bay Leaf café, sipping a latte reading “A Reef in Time” on a sage cushioned windowseat. Already, the skies though crisp and cool are a blue promise. 

From there, to Santos’ Organic Market for hunks of organic milk, white, and dark chocolate, and to Woolworths for vanilla, butter and eggs. The pizzeria and its denizens have been so good to me; tonight’s my last shift (of this tenure, anyway). It’s time to make them cookies.

With a stop back home it’s off to the beach with Daphne (my surfboard), and a beach bag with my towel and book.

The weather is perfect. Byron has lifted its face from the clouds this week to bid me remember it fondly. The water was warm, the waves clean and not smashing or sandy, the current wasn’t a drag (hehe get it – a drag?), and the sunshine was the beating heart of Byron Bay in all it's splendor. 

I went back home and baked in a frenzy, tossing together cookies like I have so many times before, excited to share my amazing American cookie making skills with these chefs who have fed me so many times, as a gesture of fond farewell. I didn’t have any of my usual kitchen equipment, but everything seemed easy enough to makeshift; what defines a mixing bowl is that something is being mixed in it, and a spoon is a spoon, right? The flat metal tray appeared to be oven-safe, etc. The dough tasted amazing, and I was running short of time. I baked the cookies up and wrapped them in wax paper on my Frisbee and raced down the street, adrenaline pumping. It would be stupid to be late my last day, cookies or no. So I did what I’ve considered doing many times when running short on time, and hitchhiked down the main street, being treated to a soliloquy about artistic flow and jumping out a block from work.

I arrived in a fluster, surprisingly emotional about my last shift. I offered around the cookies, grabbed an apron and clocked in.

The chef was sweet enough to make a ‘yum’ sound and tell me they were good.

It’s the first time a man’s ever lied to me to compliment my baking. 

Still grinning from my amazing day, and the adrenaline of running and hitchhiking to work, I grabbed a cookie.

They were terrible.

Really, really terrible.

A horrible, metallic tang lingered in my mouth even after the flavor of the cookie had gone. I couldn’t believe it. I was totally appalled. I’ve never made a bad cookie in my life, and I have made a great many cookies. What could possibly have gone wrong? I had amazing, high quality chocolate, butter with an 80% butterfat, eggs I’ve delighted in a million times. But there was nothing for it, it was a flopped cookie effort.
I expressed my displeasure at this vociferously, and the chef laughed and agreed. I should have known if anyone could understand that kitchen failures happen every now and again, it would be a culinary professional. One of the guys insisted, honestly I think, that he liked them, and ate a fair few. I made him swear he wouldn’t let anyone else touch them in exchange for my not throwing them out immediately.

I had a great last shift. It was a quiet night, the moon rose enormous and yellow, and an incredible street fiddler was set up busking down the block. My work cycle there came full circle, finishing by washing the floors and scrubbing the last trays, taking a huge box of leftover pizza home.

I went and sat on the beach and watched the moonlight reflecting on seagulls wings, and listened to the surf and sea before walking home under tropical stars. 

Culinary disasters or no, it was a perfect day. 



Incidentally, I was going to throw away the remainder of the cookie dough, but my roommate insisted that he wanted it. He baked it up in a ceramic pan, and it tasted like triple chocolate cookie, no terrible aftertaste in sight.

This concludes the lesson about the importance of using a proper baking pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment